So, what IS storytelling?
Storytelling is about marrying an idea or message with an emotion. Here’s why it can be so effective.
- Using stories, including someone’s lived experience in your copy or content, is powerful stuff
- A good story isn’t just engaging – it also helps you understand others and their perspectives
- Stories can be evocative and far more memorable than other ways to present information
- Storytelling can document the struggle, the journey, the triumph and the tragedy
- It can also amuse, entertain, convince and convert (so yep, it’s a great marketing tool as well)
- Good storytelling is a skill, as is coaxing stories out of your subjects. Not everyone can do it!
In a copywriting or content writing context, this requires a lot of preparation. Research of the subject. Writing questions. Knowing how to let an interview unfold, to create a pace; knowing how to rephrase questions to get to the heart of the story. (I also think a good storyteller is also a good listener, and someone with life experience, self-knowledge and an innate, never-say-die curiosity about other people.)